Happy Friday! Yesterday my husband and I celebrated our 10 year wedding anniversary and we had a blast going on a coffee date, having brunch, spending the day hiking in the mountains, then coming home and going to a nice dinner then a movie. We jam packed our entire day and it was SO fun and so nice unplugging from social media and our phones. Also, having no kids for the day meant that we could really spend quality time together and focus on each other. That is a HUGE success in my book.
For today, it's back to business and I'm sharing with you my latest project for the Fab Furniture Flippin Contest! Let's get started on this makeover tutorial, shall we?
This month is sponsored by FairField World and the theme is "Mix & Match." Fairfield has tons of products for upholstery like batting, foam and even pillow forms so it was a perfect match for my daughter's vanity that I found at the GoodWill. I'm pretty sure this cute little thing was owned by a sweet little old lady and my 7 year old fell in love with it as soon as I brought it home. The oak color and very outdated fabric had to go! It didn't match her room or her spunky personality at all, so I was happy to finally give this thing a new look.
So, while I was working away in the garage, my two daughters were playing like little munchkins outside, complete with homemade bunny tails, crazy hair and roller skates.
After I primed and let that dry, I spray painted it cream with a few coats and let that dry. Then I used this clear coat spray to make the paint durable and so that it won't scratch off.
Now it's time to work on the upholstery! The fun part... I used a screwdriver and took off the top of the bench. I then painted the bench just like the vanity.
Now place I placed the top of the bench on top of the 2 inch foam and traced it with a permanent marker.
Use a serrated kitchen knife to easily cut the foam.
After the foam was cut, I laid out the cushion wrap and placed the foam and bench top on top of it. Then use your staple gun and staple it around. For some reason I can't find my picture of that! Sorry. If I do find it, then I will add it later.
After I stapled the batting on and trimmed the excess, I did the same thing with black velvet fabric. I then reattached the top of the bench back on to the legs the same way that I took it off. It had 6 screws. After that I added new crystal knobs and it was done! I took quite a few pictures and I couldn't decide so I'm going to share them with you because they are too cute! Also, on a big side note, one of my lenses is down for the count so I only had a telephoto lens to shoot this with. Frustrating!